Saturday, September 4, 2010

Some Labor/Delivery/Post Delivery Memories

Here are some memories before I forget!

*When we first go to the room, they asked if we would allow a male nursing student to help. I told them it was fine! He was really nice and is the one who asked me a bunch of the general admission questions with the help of the nurse at the moment. The nurse for that day was the woman who taught the Grandparents class that mom/dad and Linda/Gary went to! How ironic!



*When the night shift nurse said I went from 5cm to 9cm, she got Valerie (the midwife). When Val came into the room, I asked if we could delay pushing for alittle while. Jason's mom had left about an hour before that to go home to get a few things. Val looked at me and said she'd go get a cup of coffee and sip on it slowly before coming back! Even during the first bits of pushing, she would sip on her coffee, which I thought was a bit funny! Drinking coffee while delivering! Linda ended up getting there about 15 minutes after I started pushing, so it all worked out!



*I had asked if they could do a mirror so I could see what was going on during pushing. It did help a bit when I could see the head and tell myself that all the pushing wasn't in vain!

*Jason was great at supporting me during labor, he never left the room and helped me when the contractions got bad, and got me ice chips between pushing segments and



*Dad and Gary sat and talked in the hallway outside the room the whole time during pushing. I could occasionally hear them.


*Jason said "she just kept coming out" once she delivered. When I first saw her, I couldn't believe how big and long she was!

*I thought I would cry when she FINALLY came out because I do get a bit teary eyed when I've watched birthing shows. But, I think I was so exhausted, I had no energy left! Jason did cry a bit though!

*She got a 9 out of 10 on the Apgar test!

*We got to announce the name with all sets of grandparents there. (Linda/Gary (or Nana and Papa), Dean/Karen (or Paw-Paw and Karen) and Carl/Ginger (or Grandmom and Grandad)


*In the morning, Jason and Hallie were both sleeping and they slept the same way! Both their mouths curve down a bit.

*The day nurse on Wednesday came in and told me "Maybe the next one will look like you." She said that Hallie definitely looked like her daddy! Later, mom said Hallie does not look like my baby photos. Linda brought Jason's baby book and we had the proof of how much she does look like him! But sometimes, I do see some Starnes in her!


*We did let her sleep in the nursery that night.

*Vistors at the hospital: All grandparents, Grandma & Grandpa, Uncle Lee, Emily, TK & Maverick, Chuck, Deda, & Liz, Abigail & little Lincoln, Kelly & little Mitchell, Tony & Angela, Lori, Karen's sister Chris, her husband, and their granddaughter Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment