Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The lea(r)ning Christmas tree

This is something I posted on facebook but also wanted to preserve here!

I’ll admit, I’m embarrassed to post this picture of our Christmas tree.


It’s old and artificial.

The lights are out in the middle.

You’re not crazy, it is leaning to the left slightly.

We can’t put many ornaments at the bottom because of the cat.

It looks like it belongs in the Upside Down of “Stranger Things.”


When I saw all these flaws, my perfectionist brain started with the normal thoughts of...


This is terrible…

Everyone else has a better, prettier tree…

You’re not good enough…

The kids aren’t getting the experience they deserve….


But the kids had nothing but excitement and that increased as they grabbed ornaments to decorate.


Hallie even said, “There’s nothing wrong with the tree!”


God impressed on me that things, people, and experiences can be appreciated despite their flaws, sins, and pain.


I’ll look at my Christmas tree (and hopefully other flawed bumps in the road) a little differently now...but transformation of the mind isn't easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment